Monday, January 16, 2012

64 Ways in 64 Days:In honour of Martin Luther King Jr. day



In october 2011 the participants and facilitators of the Community Conflict Transformation and Peace Building ceritifcate course at the Coady International Institute were honoured and priveleged to welcome Dr. Lawrence Carter, mentee and friend of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr. Carter honoured us with his gentle, humble, powerful presence and shared 64 ways in 64 days as a means of inspiring us to be bigger then we already are. In Dr. Lawrence's words "We need to find the Martin Luther King, Jr. inside ourselves and develop and share with the rest of the world."

In honour of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day I share with you 64 ways in 64 days.
There are 64 days between the time of Mahatma Gandhi’s death and Martin Luther King Jr’s death, January 30—April 4

64 Ways in 64 Days

I choose to reflect on what peace means to me.

I choose to work to understand and respect another culture.

I choose not to take myself so seriously.

I choose to take some time to admire and appreciate nature.

I choose to plant seeds - of plants or constructive ideas.

I choose to be aware of the hungry and how I may help them.

I choose to acknowledge every human being's fundamental right to justice, equity, and equality.

I choose to appreciate the earth's bounty and all of those who work to make my food available (i.e., grower, trucker, grocery clerk, cook, waitress).

I choose to walk rather than drive to nearby destinations.

I choose to oppose injustice, not people.

I choose to call one of my elected officials and voice my opinion.

I choose to be aware of what I say and refuse to gossip.

I choose to live in the present moment and release the past.

I choose to silently acknowledge all the peacemakers throughout the world.

I choose to speak with respect to every one I talk to.

I choose to tell someone I love them.

I choose to speak honestly from the heart.

I choose to cause a ripple effect of good by an act of kindness toward another.

I choose to use my talents to serve others.

I choose to treat people who work in the service industry with respect.

I choose to say "No" to violent movies, TV, and videos.

I choose to express appreciation and gratitude to at least two people a day.

I choose to greet others with a smile.

I choose to drive with tolerance and patience.

I choose to relieve my frustration by taking a walk or in some other healthy way.

I choose to take time to listen carefully to another's point of view.

I choose to talk less and listen more.

I choose to notice the peacefulness in the world around me.

I choose to recognize that my actions directly affect others.

I choose to take time to tell a family member or friend how much they mean to me.

I choose to acknowledge and thank some one for acting kindly.

I choose to send a supportive, anonymous message to someone.

I choose to identify something of value in everyone I meet.

I choose to treat animals with care and consideration.

I choose to practice praise rather than criticism.

I choose to strive to learn from my mistakes.

I choose to recycle grocery bags or use cloth bags.

I choose to hold children tenderly in thought and/or action.

I choose to listen without defending and speak without judgment.

I choose to help someone who needs support.

I choose to listen with an open heart to at least one person.

I choose to treat the elderly I encounter with respect and dignity.

I choose to treat the children I encounter with respect and care, knowing that I
serve as a model to them.

I choose to treat my co-workers with understanding and compassion.

I choose to recycle more of my trash.

I choose to appreciate the gift animals bring to our world.

I choose to work to help others resolve differences.

I choose to express my feelings honestly and nonviolently with respect for others and myself.

I choose to share a meal with another.

I choose to write a letter to one of my representatives in Congress saying I want the U.S. to be a world peace leader.

I choose not to use violent language.

I choose to pause for reflection on how I am living my values.

I choose to seriously consider letting go of a grudge.

I choose to carpool more often.

I choose to acknowledge to another or myself something I regret.

I choose to reflect on whom I would like to reconnect with.

I choose to love myself as I am.

I choose to embrace the spiritual belief of my heart in my own personal and
reflective way.

I choose to enlarge my capacity to embrace differences and appreciate the value of every human being.

I choose to smile at a stranger.

I choose to support peace by educating myself.

I choose to write a letter to the editor about something I'm thankful for in my community.

I choose to pause and think before I say something hurtful to another.

I choose to give a hug to someone I care about.

I choose to reflect on what peace means to me now.

Adapted from 64 Ways in 64 Days from A Season for Nonviolence created by The Association of Global New Thought, http://www.agnt.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment