Monday, January 2, 2012

10th year




Maya 10 on Christmas day! I stare at her incessantly until she breaks into her Grenada tongue “Why you watching me so?”

Because I can’t believe you are ten years old. Because I can’t believe ten years ago village friends were dropping by and you were in my arms, an hour old, suckling and squirming while friends expressed their surprise and shock at their white ras neighbour who they never thought would give birth to her baby at home, in the village! “ahh how Maureen brave so! She real brave oui?” And me proud warrior Mama smiling at this soon to be 10 year old daughter folded into the softness of my arms.

Ten years I repeat like a mantra gone mad. Like a mantra dedicated to disbelief and wonder. Like a prayer cradling this glorious Grenadian, Canadian, multi racial, spiritual, cultural, miracle child who blesses us with her quiet, gentle, strong wisdom day by day!
Happy Birthday Maya Mado!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to Maya and congrats to her beautiful warrior mama ^-^

    ReplyDelete