Tuesday, October 30, 2012

National Novel Writing Month


Dear Friends,
November is National Novel Writing Month (nanomowri) and this year I have decided to take on the challenge! I have been telling close friends around me, friends who know I have a passion for the written word; a passion to use this passion as an act of hope in a world that desperately needs hope! Today I make this announcement publicly as a means of holding myself accountable to this beautifully crazified creative goal!

I read this today on nanomowri webpage: 
“Tell everyone you know that you’re writing a novel in November. This will pay big dividends in Week Two, when the only thing keeping you from quitting is the fear of looking pathetic in front of all the people who’ve had to hear about your novel for the past month. Seriously. Email them now about your awesome new book. The looming specter of personal humiliation is a very reliable muse.”

Ok so here goes I am writing a novel this month! I am writing the bulk of a first draft of a novel. Where it goes or what journey it takes me on I have no idea but I know it will be a catalyst of some sort! I also know I am doing this for me, without any big illusion of becoming published and being interviewed by Eleanor Wachtel on Writers and Company, cbc radio!!

I leave you with a powerful quote from one of my favorite writers, Isabelle Allende. She breathes life and wisdom into these hands ready to give birth to 1,667 words a day! 

“I feel that writing is an act of hope, a sort of communion with our fellow beings. The writer of good will carries a lamp to illuminate the dark corners; only that, nothing more - a tiny beam of light to show some hidden aspect of reality, to help decipher and understand thus to initiate, if possible, a change in the conscience of some readers. This kind of writer is not seduced by the mermaid’s voice of celebrity or tempted by exclusive literary circles. He/She has both feet planted firmly on the ground and walks hand in hand with the people in the streets. She knows that the lamp is very small and the shadows are immense. This makes her humble.”

Blessings.


2 comments:

  1. Have you found your NaNoWriMo homr region yet? :)

    http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forums/elsewhere-caribbean/threads/62081

    I hope i see you at the next WAG meeting, i have some NaNoWriMo goodies for you! Welcome NaNoNewbie :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi yes, i have found. are you there! are you taking the journey again? i am in canada now and will be writing from canada but my heart is in grenada and my writing is a reflection of two characters both very different and both coming from context of caribbean island and canada! i will see you in december. thanks wordy phoenix! one love.

    ReplyDelete