Saturday, September 29, 2012

Today is D day! 100 thousand poets for change!



Today is D Day! i am honoured to be a part of the movement for change by participating in the yearly global event, '100 Thousand Poets and musicians for Change'. With over 700 events in 112 participating countries this event is geared towards creating conscious awareness within the context of peace and sustainability; the stimulus needed for the change we seek.

This initiative aims to promote social, environmental and economical change through poetry and music...

the Antigonish poets will be sharing their own poetry along with favorite poems from around the world today from 11am to 1pm at the antigonish farmers market!
 
this will be my contribution:
 
Why Should I?
 
Why should I
walk a straight line
and into a  box
when my heart tells me to
run,
             skip,
                         leap,
                              sprint,  
                                         and fly 
to the beat of
my own natural
earth quenching rhythms
 
Why should I bother
what others say, think, feel   
when my heart tells me
to live like its’ my final hour
like it’s the last month of
my full moon beauty
 my season to bloom
and sprout hummingbird
wings
 
Why should i
forget about those around me
the young child a day-plane  away
who sits in fear of  
ancestral grounds burnt,
mothers and fathers murdered,   
brothers kidnapped into the bush   
When my heart says to  
embrace the sorrow
as if its’ my own extended sadness
 
Why should i
move as though
the earth is not dying,
as though there is
no other generation
to come but mine,
deny the great unraveliing,
beleive in a bottomless food source
tied up in pretty packaging
When all i want to do
is cry for our Mother Earth
get on my knees
and say sorry for the millionth tme
When all i want to do
is yell from the bottom
of my ignorance
wake up me!
wake up you!
 
Why should I
get tangled in my own
thoughts,
fears,
concerns,
when my heart tells me to 
speak  the  words of alliance
tame this privileged mind  
be more then what history predicts
undo the colonial teachings
 
Why should I
ask for more and more
when what I have is enough
and my heart is begging me
to be still
and breath
gently
tenderly
softly
so the beating of my heart hurts no one
 

No comments:

Post a Comment