Saturday, March 31, 2012

In Honour of Trayvon Martin



Yesterday Sinead O'connor's voice rang
loud angry courageous
pleading to the world
to shake ourselves from hatred and ignorance
to be not stupid
to wake up to the scientific facts
to wake up to the one mother gene we all possess
the one mother gene called Mother Afrika

Yesterday Sinead O'connor's voice shook
me to my white skinned self
to my priveleged core
i imagined my self shot on an isolated city corner
knowing the person who shot me
could never plead self-defence
with a skin colour darker then mine

Yesterday Sinead O'connor's voice quaked
and i was rocked into a deeper understanding
of the killing of a 17 year old black boy
and i felt O'connor's lyrics of the past
and i heard the poetry of Alice Walker,
Audre Lorde and other great civil right poets
still bearing witness to the murder of their own,
still bearing witness to
racist attitudes and murderous actions
that would arrest and charge my murderer
but not that of their son, Trayvon Martin.

No comments:

Post a Comment