Friday, December 18, 2009

Today is the day I begin my blog. Today is the day I face this fear of writing publicly. Today is the day I shed my shell and become soft and vulnerable sharing the inside out. Today is the day I create an intention to these blog pieces.
My intention: to share bridges between many worlds through the writing process. Bridges between: art and peace education; community and self; Grenada and Canada; the Village and the Farm; confidence within and confidence with others; and the many other bridges waiting to be built through these pieces.

Yesterday I miraculously pressed a few buttons on the computer that led me to Skype. I signed up again and went online to see if dad was on his computer. He was. I remembered a friend of his hooked him up to skype even though he hasn’t a clue at the moment how to use it. I dialed him and he miraculously pressed another button which led him to a video of me maya and samara staring stupidly at the screen wondering if he was actually on the other end. We couldn’t hear him because he was not signed in but he could see us as I soon found out when I unhooked the computer and called. He said he heard a strange beeping, pressed a button and there we were in our little board house dancing around. We hung up and I rang him again this time knowing he and mom could see us. I moved the laptop around as best I could with all the different wires hooking me from one connection to another. We brought our various animals to the screen, Blossom our cat, Sara and Lola our dogs and Lilly and Fawn our adolescent goats. Maya danced in front of the screen and samara stared shyly while laughing her gorgeous laugh. Theo stood at attention with his hands behind his back grinning. I never thought I would feel such gratitude for the madness of our internet worlds.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Maureen! A lovely way to start your blog. We skyped Nona and Jon on Christmas Night and they could see us but not hear us, so we had the huge fun of writing notes to them on pieces of paper and holding them up in front of the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis is great news M, I have also just got on Skype..we need to connect, so nice to see your doing this peice.congrats

    ReplyDelete